Choosing the right doctor or other health care provider is one of the most important decisions you’ll make about your health care. You should look for a doctor you can trust and work with to improve your health and well-being.
Here are some tips for how to find a doctor near you:
- Call your insurance company or state Medicaid and CHIP program. Look at their website or check your member handbook to find doctors in your network who take your health coverage.
- Ask your friends or family if they have doctors they like and use this tool to compare doctors and other health care providers in your area.
Once you’ve found a doctor, schedule your first visit. Be sure to tell the office if you’re a new patient, the name of the doctor you want to see, and the reason for your appointment. If you already have a doctor you like and want to keep working with, call their office and ask if they accept your coverage.
Here are some ways to prepare for your first appointment:
- Make sure you have items like your insurance card, photo ID, and a list of any medications you’re currently taking.
- Review your family health history before your appointment, so you can share this information with your doctor.
- Ask about any questions or concerns you have about your health – write them down so you don’t forget to ask.
Watch the video: “Finding a Provider” – from Coverage to Care
Watch the video: “My First Visit” – from Coverage to Care